Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Formatting digis for a "softer" or sepia-toned look

Hey everyone! I often like to have softer lines on my digis for a "no line" effect . . . and sometimes I prefer a soft "sepia-toned" look. So, I thought I'd do a little tutorial on how I do this.

Disclaimer: I am not at all computer literate . . . and there may be other, even simpler ways of doing this . . . but this is how I do it! And, trust me, it's pretty simple! Oh . . . also . . . I can only do this on a PC! I have no clue how to achieve these effects on a MAC/iPad (sorry).

For this tutorial, I used a cropped portion of Mo Manning's darling "I Dunno (Redux)" image. This process will work for any and all digital images that you have saved to your computer!! Oh . . . and this entire image is available for purchase in Mo's online store HERE. OK . . . here we go!!


  1. Locate your saved digi image in your computer picture files (or wherever you store them). 
  2. Copy your desired image to a Word document for re-sizing.
  3. Once your image is the size you want to use, position the "cursor arrow" over the image and right click. This will give you a drop down box. 
  4. Scroll down to the highlighted area that says "Format Picture" . . . left click on that. 
  5. Slide your cursor down to "Picture Color" and left click on that. Now slide your cursor arrow over to the button that says "Presets" . . . 
  6. Left click on that "Presets" button . . . and you'll get a screen that looks like this . . . 
  7. This is where the fun begins!! If you'd like to "recolor" your digi image so that it looks sort of "sepia-toned" . . . move your cursor arrow to the lower right image. When you hover over it, It will tell you that it's orange . . . but, trust me, it prints "sepia-toned"! Then simply left click. And . . . voila! Your image is now sepia-toned!! 
  8. Now simply left click on the "Close" button and proceed with saving and/or printing as you normally do!
  9. If you'd rather have your image a very light grey . . . this is nice for a "no line" effect . . . but still allows you to actually see the lines!! Go back to step number 7! Instead of left clicking on the "Orange" image . . . slide your cursor up to the top row . . . 
  10. The 4th image from the left on the top row looks almost like it's no image at all. Don't worry . . . just move your cursor arrow over that . . . it will say "Washout". Left click on that. And voila . . . your image will magically turn a very light grey
  11. Left click on the "Close" button and you can now proceed with saving and/or printing as you normally do!!
And . . . it's as easy as that!! I hope this helps!! Have fun!! See you soon! Hugs.

8 comments:

CalibyCreations said...

I love it! Thank you very much.

Carrie said...

Thank you so much, this is very helpful.

Annemaritta said...

What's your version of Word, please? It might also help, cos I got confused cos I didn't have half of your options ;)

Amanda Jensen said...

That's wonderful Pat!! Thanks for sharing this. That makes my life so much easier, as I was trying to fiddle with photoshop to do just this. Love nice and simple.. and great tutorial my dear. clear, direct and easy to follow. Well done!!! Xo

Sassy Raggedy said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. I will have to try it. Hugs, joann

Dena said...

OMG!!! THANK YOU!!!! I have wanted to do this for ages and didn't know it was possible!!! You're da bomb Miss Pat!!!!

Hugs, Dena

Linda Compton said...

Yay quick easy and simple. Just the way I need it! Thanks my friend. Now to figure out how to save the tutorial. LOL

Janie Printz said...

Wonderful tutorial Miss Pat. Nothing I love more than learning something like this that truly is quick & easy AND AMAZING ... Thanks for sharing your time to make life a little simpler for me. This will be put to great use.
Hugs, Janie